Take The Walk | Beyond The Walk | Raising Funds Jamaica BTTI

Lautje85

So.. I am going to BTTI. It is my first time and I had to sell a kidney to pay for my trip. But I am really excited.
I am also really aware of my fortunate position. I get the chance to pay all that money for a trip, just for me! I cannot go to Jamaica, a country that is struggling with HIV/poverty/education etc, without trying to help out in one way or another. My friend is visiting South Africa at this moment and she has been a true inspiration. She took a whole suitcase with supplies to South Africa and she has visited a school and she will visit a Children's hospital.
I have been looking around for Jamaica, and I have made contact with a large charity that also has projects in Jamaica. I am hoping that they can guide me.

I also want to ask who is willing to join me. When I've heard back from the charity, I will know more on how you can join me and help out too.
I just wanted to share this with you right away. The love is burning in my heart and I am eager to help out. <3

Lautje85

Ooh sorry not Africa related. But it is HIV/poverty etc related. If it needs to be removed, please do so.  I will find another spot for my post ;)

robinbond

Children's hospital? Red Cross by any chance? That's here in Rondebosch, technically speaking on the other side of our Take The Walk venue, so about 2 kilometers from me... sorry - I'm just a little excited for this whole thing since I have been talking to you about it a while. Red Cross is the only specifically childrens' hospital that I know of in South Africa.

Lautje85

This is about Jamaica.

My friend is currently in South Africa giving out all the supplies that she has collected. She inspired me to do the same in Jamaica:)

nightsuplate

i LOVE that you posted this! I am not going to Jamaica for this reason. I think it's too much money to spend only on my own personal enjoyment/leisure. I would NEED to give back while there and i LOVE that you feel the same and are actually planning something! MUCH PROPS TO YOU! Please keep us updated on what projects you find....maybe i will join you in an upcoming year. (It would be even better if they - the boys- could incorporate a charitable donation into the cost or instead of doing tye dye and other things one of the events could be volunteering at a place in need.) *my two cents*  But i think a lot of the fans would be into helping...hopefully you get this out there. Try another board for this post!

lasalle2235

michelle wilson
Sharon, SC, US

I can't afford a trip like that or to help others but i think that is really great you are thinking of helping others less fortinate (sp)

Lautje85

Thanks for your enthusiasm nightsuplate and Michelle! They are looking into it. To see if they can help me to get to the project! 

Lautje85

So, today I heard back from the charity which is called Project Abroad. They are very excited about my plans and they have send me a list of supplies and products that they are in need of. I will take as much products with me as I possibly can. :)

Maybe I will start a campaign to raise money so that I can donate to the project as well.

They have a school and an orphanage. The children are in need of attention. They have volunteers that are giving art classes and education and the supplies would have to keep the children engaged. 

I am beyond excited! 

taasness

Tyler Aasness
Plymouth, MN, US

Hi Lautje - keep me posted on the supplies and products needed - my sister and I would love to bring some down to donate!

Lautje85

Hi Tyler, that is awesome!

They've asked for schoolsupplies for the older children.  I thought I could buy a bunch of (.. don't know the English word.. pen holder, penbag.. in Dutch we use the French word Etui) and fill them with donations like coloring pencils,pens,erasers. Bring notepads etc. I also want to bring a fun game that I think they can use working with the children. 

And for the baby's they have asked for stuffed animals and toys. It had to be babyproof and although I am a fan of second hand stuff, I won't bring second hand stuffed animals t on children with a chance of having a weak health system. 

Lautje85

I've posted on Facebook in the BTTI group and the response is amazing. 

A lot of people are willing to bring supplies with them to Jamaica. So awesome! It actually makes my head spin a little bit.

For everyone that wants to help out, but can't bring supplies or is not coming to Jamaica this year, I've created a GoFundMe campaign. 

gofundme.com/kids-in-jamaica-need-your-help

If I can't post that link on this forum, please just remove this single post.

Lautje85

My first goal was to raise €100 and we've already achieved that goal! I've set a new goal for €150. I was able to arrange my transport with a driver that will also wait for me when I am at the Children's home. The transport will cost €150 so we 've almost paid for that! :) Thank you all for your excitement and support!

Lautje85

Today we have already raised an amount of €270!
Last week I got a pretty big box of wooden toys from one of my suppliers! (I own a Children's Toys webshop). So generous! And another supplier let me know that he would be giving me Story Cubes to bring to Jamaica! Which is awesome because is it such a versatile toy/game. It can even be used for creative therapy.
BTW: have you tried your story cubes in the mean time Zac? It's been over a year :-p

Today we got our BTTI info and schedule and to my surprise they are also collecting suplies from all the BTTI-ers. :) So Jamaica is in for some love from this community!

Now that I've seen the schedule I am even more sure that I will be visiting the Children's Home on Wednesday. I am looking forward to it!

Lautje85

We have now raised €303. I am working on arranging my transport and my shopping trip to the supermarket. :) I am also working on making the final arrangements for the second pick up on Monday for everyone that wants to donate something, but is arriving later than Wednesday. :)

Lautje85

The visit to the Children's home was amazing. They were so overwhelmed by our gift. With all the money that was donated I bought a lot of diapers, shoepolish, babypowder, babyshampoo, regular shampoo, babywipes, cupcakemix, cookiemix, healthy snacks etc. I brought a backpack for every child in the children's home, just so that they could have something for themselves. I've brought so much toys too and other fans have brought so many books and artsupplies! It truly blew my mind and theirs as well. I want to thank you al for making this into a succes!

You can find photos on my Facebook:

Click here

Lautje85

On Monday a second donation has been picked up by Projects Abroad at the hotel. That donation has been given to an orphanage in Mandeville.

jlove1984

Jaquaida Kinney
Tampa, Florida, US

That was so beautiful

taysbear

Carrie Nairn
Hagerstown , Maryland , US

I worked  and going to see Hanson motivated me not to spend as much .

Lautje85

I received pictures today of the shipment that went to the Childrens Home in Mandeville. They were very happy with the donations! Thank you all!

fernandafefe

Fernanda Martins Garutti
Sao Caetano Do Sul, Sao Paulo, BR

That's amazing, Laura. You did a very good job and I'm happy to be a part of it. Thank you!

Lautje85

Thank you Fernanda for your kind words and for your donations! :)

NicoleFogarty

Hey! Sorry for replying late! I was randomly checking and got to know about this thread. It was amazing that you have raised funds in Jamaica.You did a very good job. I will be happy to be a part of it. It is really appreciable. I also love to help people who are living in not so good condition. I mostly visit to the African region for helping people, few days back my cousin has discovered this site for the volunteering abroad program and he recommended me to go on that mission trip with him. I am so much excited for my next volunteering trip.

fraserette

This thread just popped up for me and I was wondering if you have an address that we can send supplies to?  

benfongtorres

Jody Powell
Eunice, LA, US

It's admirable that you're doing this.

Before we left for BTTI this year, Island Gigs sent this information to us, and many people brought supplies. 

COMMUNITY OUTREACH and THE ROCKHOUSE FOUNDATION
Island Gigs has been actively supporting a great non-profit in Jamaica that has done some incredible workbuilding and restoring schools and libraries in the area surrounding Negril. The Rock House Foundation has allits overhead covered, so 100 percent of any money they receive goes directly into supporting the projects theyare involved in.While they can certainly put any monetary donations they receive to good use, they have also asked if wecould help get the word out about some supplies they need that are in short supply in Jamaica.

If you are able,please throw a few of the items below in your suitcase to support the Rock House Foundation. Also know thatit will go a long way and be greatly appreciated. Visit rockhousefoundation.org for more info.• Play Dough• Power paint• Paper plates• Colored fudge sticks• Jumbo crayons• Shoe laces• Glitter dust• Construction paper• Jumbo beads• Paper cups• Elastic bands• Large reward stickers• Scotch tape• Glue Stick• Pipe cleaners• Markers (sharpie)• Pencils• Safety scissors• Coloring Books• Crayons• Modeling clay• Educational C.D.’s

<< < 1 > >>