Public Forums | Tour | If You’re Going To A Show, Please Read Me

Evanspiration

Kristin Moore
On The Road, CA, US

I posted a similar message on A Facebook group last night after the experience of the Seattle crowds complete disrespect for not only both opening acts but also for Hanson themselves. The amount of loud talking throughout all artists sets was ridiculous and just a complete disrespect for the bands and their music. All of these musicians are putting themselves out on stage and performing for you! So having loud conversations that can be heard over the music is completely rude and disrespectful. 

Last night, both Paul and Zac asked the crowd to quiet down and no one listened. It was extremely sad. 

Then you had Taylor performing his brand new song we hadn’t heard before; a nice quiet solo right? Nope. You had girls whooping and screaming at him through the entire thing. You can scream that you love him all you want, but save it for between songs. 

I just wanted to put this message out there in hopes that anyone going to any shows in the future (Hanson or not) will remember that it’s very rude to go to a show and spend the entire time ruining it for everyone else this way. Also, I don’t care if you’re drunk. That’s not an excuse. If you’re so drunk that you don’t know what you’re doing, then there are other issues there. 

taysbear

Carrie Nairn
Hagerstown , Maryland , US

we Fans have a right to do as we want just like you . 

blueskyjudy

Judy Ferrante
Conklin, NY, US

Kristin - I have been to many concerts and there are always some overly "enthusiastic" or intoxicated fans.   It is a bummer that some of the fans made your experience not quite what you wanted it to be.     These days, if I find the fans around me to be disruptive (and a gentle request for quiet doesn't help) - I usually move.  Yes, inconvenient - but if it is a general admission concert, I would rather move to a spot where I can enjoy the show. 

Hope your next show experience turns out better. 

Evanspiration

Kristin Moore
On The Road, CA, US

No, I understand that people will be loud sometimes. Ive worked in the live music industry for 16 years now so I’m very used to concerts. It still doesn't make it any less disrespectful or rude. The Seattle crowd was ridiculous. I posted a similar message on a group just for the Pacific Northwest and have about 25 different comments about the same issue. It was extremely loud and the crowd was out of control at times. Security was constantly going into the crowd to handle drunk idiots not behaving and both Zac and Paul McDonald asked the crowd to quiet down because you could hear the conversations over the music. Not your usual soft chatter you hear during every show. It was overly loud. But it also comes down to not just respecting the musicians, but respecting the people around you that you’re drunken behavior is effecting. When you have men leaving the venue because drunk women are making them feel uncomfortable (yep that happened on Sunday) then that’s not okay. The venue staff was not happy with the fans and so again that brings in another issue; will Hanson ever be able to book that venue again. Who knows. As someone who has dealt with fans like this in the past, it has really made rebooking the same artist hard. Do I want to put my staff in those situations again? No I don’t, so they can book somewhere else. It’s a ****ty decision, but it has to be made. I’m really not trying to come off as a frigid ***** (though I probably am) I just feel like people should be honestly told when they’re behaving badly. This was one of those instances. It’s also just a general message to all people going to any concert. Just respect the artist. There is so much time between sets and also before and after the show to chat. Enjoy the music! 

camisa

This was unfortunately noticable even just from watching YouTube videos of the show.  Especially people screaming during Taylor's solo.  I understand being excited for new music, but it wasn't just one or three people it was excessive.  And that was just my observation from watching YouTube.

bubunemrac

Kristin, I completely agree with you! I've been thinking the same at differents concerts in my life (not only hanson)

AimzYaDig

I agree im going to see a performance they better not do this in NOLA. Theyblove getting drunk n acting like fools at those shows. Not this year ladies. Lets have fun and enjoy some music. 

DChansonfan

Lindsay Augustine
Washington, DC, US

There is definitely a difference between enjoying the show and being an excited, enthusiastic fan verses what you are describing. Sorry, I don't agree that everyone has the right to do what they want at a show. It's super disrespectful to act this way for the band, the venue, and the other concert attendees who paid just as much as you did to see and hear the performance. This can really just completely ruin a show for surrounding people. If it's a GA show, like Judy said, I will typically move - but I shouldn't have to. We are all adults, most of us 25-30 years old plus, and should know how to act!

LD12

All the cat calling that some fans do is so rude and inappropriate especially when Zac is having to tell fans to pipe down and stop being rude! I’m just waiting to see a video floating around where he had enough and calls another a fat drunk b!+€h again and than all of the whining of how he was being mean, no he’s not being mean, learn how to have some respect! 

lilzacbop

Katie Wanta
Orange, CT, US

I can't stand people who go to shows and need to have full blown, loud conversations throughout the opener or even the headliner.  If it is a quick comment mid show, fine, but if it is a whole conversation and you can't wait until a set break or the show to be over - take it to the lobby.

I actually got in an argument with a guy once because he was talking VERY loudly through an opener at a show - an opener I happened to like and was a big reason why I went to the show. Several people had "shh" or politely asked him to be quiet. I lost it on him after the set when he said his fiancé was deaf so he had to talk loud and that no one was there to see the opener.  Apparently me telling him that people were there for the opener and he should go to the lobby to chitchat at max volume means I have no compassion for people with disabilities and he didn't want to have to walk to the lobby because he went to school with the headliner. *eye roll*  (And for those of you who don't know, I am disabled so he kind of missed the mark there.)

LD12

^@lilzacbop You nailed it on the head with what you said! My husband and I had gone to a Kenny Chesney concert a couple of years ago and there was a lady that to be 45 year old that was drunk off her @$$ that was being obnoxiously loud (she was in the seats in front of us) she had a tall plastic adult beverage in her hand and she was slashing it around(her doing that got on us), I got up and got the security event person and asked if they could ask her to settle down and to stop basically throwing her drink on us/others in our section. I don't think I was the only one that complained about her because when the event person went to talk to her, she told us that she was sorry that her drink got on us. I'm all for having fun and having a drink or two but don't be an nuisance to others around you!

TiffanyBernard

I am always so embarrassed by fans who are inconsiderate like that. It is so incredibly rude. These artists are working their butts off, putting themselves out there, missing time from their families to entertain us and the least you can do is keep the talking to a minimum. It's tacky.

Chickenels

Unfortunately, this is like beating a dead horse. I realized after String Theory that if the fans couldn't behave with something like that, they'll never behave. This is just the way it is, those fans will always be those fans, obnoxious, annoying loud mouths who don't care about anyone but themselves. I don't know how many times I've told people to be quiet or even said "shut up" because I could no longer take it anymore. Hanson fans are some of rudest fans of a band I've ever encountered. It makes the rest of us look bad as well, quite frankly, I don't know how the guys don't snap more, they have the patience of saints as far as I'm concerned.

racheldelaura

Unfortunately, there will always be the rowdy ones. :(

the_purps

Vicki Meese
Stourbridge, West Midlands, GB

Oh dear, if the band told me to quieten down, I would definitely shut up! Just like when they say jump, clap, hands in the air or whatever...we do!  It’s great when the crowd goes nuts, but I would also like lovely complete silence during the quieter songs. It never happens though. Hope you get to go to more shows & have better crowd experiences x

kellylizbeth

Kelly Davis
Astoria, New York, US

There's no accounting for some people's bad behavior and there will be some of them at every show (and a disproportionately large number of them at Hanson shows).

BUT, and maybe this is an unpopular opinion/devil's advocate theory: in my experience, fans who are deeply engaged with the music tend to be more respectful. People tune out/talk/get drunk when they're bored with what's happening onstage, which is why people who paid to see the headliner tend not to be super attentive to an opener they aren't familiar with or don't care for. 

Hanson's been playing the same songs live for mannnny years now. There's not much new stuff (2-3 songs per set on this tour?) for people to take in. They're starting to feel like a nostalgia act rather than a band that is actively passionate about connecting with fans via their music. Crowds pick up on stale energy. 

To be clear, I am in NO WAY excusing rudeness at a concert or blaming the band for people's bad behavior. Fans should be respectful audience members regardless of who's onstage and what they're doing. (And as for the fact that people were jerks during Taylor's new solo, those are just garbage people). But as a dedicated and well-behaved fan who has skipped shows and events recently because I'm bored with the material and don't find the experience as inspiring as it used to be, I wonder if this vibe has to do with the fact that people like me are opting out and a bigger portion of the crowd is people who are like "OMGGGG HANSON REMEMBER MMMBOP??" and just don't care enough to behave respectfully.

MissRiza

Kelsey Wetmore
Greensburg, PA, US

But the merch booth though... THAT'S where things really get nuts! lol :P

In all seriousness though...

It sucks when fans can't sit and enjoy a concert that they paid to see while others are acting a fool, and bringing the mood down with their drunken or idiotic fangirling behavior...

I'm missing the Pittsburgh show this year and have to wonder if a break between Hanson concerts per year is a good thing instead of a sad one...

Mandra88

Amanda Savage
Baldwinsville, NY, US

This happened in Pittsburgh too. I was really disappointed. I very much wanted to enjoy better man,  joy to the mountain and Annalee. Unfortunately, people were talking through the entirety of these songs. I think this particular concert has discouraged me from purchasing general admission tickets in the future. I was appalled at how rude and disrespectful people were. At one point people were screaming sing mmmbop. I was super annoyed. 

I was fortunate enough to meet all three after the show. They took their time and met everyone that waited after the show. Thanks guys!

taysbear

Carrie Nairn

I heard a lot of talking during paul MC Donald in Maryland . It was so rude . 

BeckyCousCous

Yes, so much loud talking during Paul’s set in particular  at the Silver Spring show.  He is admittedly not my musical cup of tea so his set wasn’t totally appealing to me, but I remained quiet during his set at least. Some people are just wired differently.

nikkirae84

Nikki Chapman
Gilbert, AZ, US

I couldn't agree with this more! It was embarrassing to hear the amount of talking in Pittsburgh, especially during Paul McDonald's set. He may not sing the style of music I listen to, but I gained so much respect for him that night for the way he handled everything. 

IvyDarling

Ivory Walker
Toledo, OH, US

I'm very happy I went to this show, I was a little saddened at how J&THR and Paul McDonald were treated. I was a little shocked that the crowd actually settled down for Zac's piano solo and they were fairly quiet during Joy to The World.

musicalrider83

I don't get why people would scream loudly during quiet songs... you want to be noticed, uh? You're being noticed, not in a good way, sis.

After a drunk girl got into a heated conversation with a couple in front of me during the Finally It's Christmas tour (she was hitting on a married man and thought it was ok because he wasn't using his wedding right?!?!?!), I don't expect much better from the crowds honestly.

taysbear

Carrie Nairn

Posted Dec 17, 2019   08:03:40 PM

PMAdd Friend

IvyDarling Ivory Walker
Toledo, OH, US

I'm very happy I went to this show, I was a little saddened at how J&THR and Paul McDonald were treated. I was a little shocked that the crowd actually settled down for Zac's piano solo and they were fairly quiet during Joy to The World.

I was glad about this

jlove1984

Jaquaida Kinney
Tampa, Florida, US

I’m sorry not everyone has to like the opening act. His music sounds terrible. Another thing you don’t how long it took for some one who saved up and go hard to go to this concert. I go to concerts to let loose and have drinks and have fun. I work hard all year long at work and at physical therapy. I should be able to go to a concert and have fun. If the avenue didn’t want people to have fun and drink.. they wouldn’t sell drink. Let people have fun.

<< < 1 2 3 > >>