Public Forums | Tour | String Theory Show Etiquette

robinbond

I'm asking this because I have seen questions about it on social media, stemming from discussion here. 

So, due to the addition of an orchestra, there will reportedly be a bit of a clampdown on photography or rather flash photography, and it has been stated that action will be taken against people who scream -- again understandable. As a side-note, if food and drink is (reportedly) to be allowed at some of the shows (specifically outdoor venues) I don't know how unruly behaviour is going to be monitored. No talking. School boy / girl behaviour, standing straight in a line etc... I don't see it happening. Anyway, the closest show to me will be 11000 kilometers away (or 6 meters, depending if a show is streamed online) so I guess it doesn't really effect me.

But here is the burning question I have seen. Noone is asking it, so I will... is singing allowed? Personally I could not imagine a Hanson show (and the band has stated that this will be a Hanson show first and foremost) without fans singing... well, there was that Finally It's Christmas twenty minute promo that allowed clapping on one song, but a two hour show...?

himster85

Shara Logue
Winchester, United States, US

They'd have to kick every single person out of the seats if no signing is allowed hahahaha  There's no way they could not allow it.  I'm wondering if we're going to be expected to stay seated the entire time.  I've only been to one show at Wolf Trap, which is the closest show to me, it was Johnny Lang and I was wanting to stand up and dance and sing along the whole time but everyone in the entire venue just sat down until he came out for the encore and then stood up and danced along.  So, I thought that was weird but maybe just how things are done at that venue.  I'll be interested to see how it pans out for String Theory.

gmreynarivera0326

I am DYING to know if singing will be allowed. I’ve asked that on a Facebook group and I think I was told no singing I could be wrong, but how awkward would it be to be at a Hanson concert and not be able to sing.

benfongtorres

Jody Powell
Eunice, LA, US

Re: singing.....I think we should take Hanson's lead on this.  If the band wants us to sing along, I can definitely see Taylor doing what he does to encourage it.  He's very good at engaging the audience and all he has to do is say the word or give us the gesture to do so.  Isaac is also pretty good at this.  If neither of them do it, then I think the audience needs to keep quiet and LISTEN to the music.  If the audience sings, we will miss the nuances of all those beautiful orchestra instruments and arrangements that they have so carefully and diligently prepared for us.  

roses_4_tay

yes he is i agree jody to

taysbear

Carrie Nairn
Hagerstown , Maryland , US

Agree Jody 

mamajive

I'm not sure I will get to any of the String Theory shows but Hanson is playing with a full orchestra so I would want to have the full experience of hearing that. Not fans singing over the entire show. And considering Hanson mentioned they had to sing more quietly then a normal show so the music is heard would they want the fans to be louder then them? 

But I won't be surprised if the fans still sing. When Hanson played at Carnegie Hall I thought we would be able to hear the music because of the special place we were at but everyone stood up and screams and sang loudly. 

EyesWideOpen

I'd love to experience just one show where fans don't sing along. You so often end up hearing the nearby people louder than the band. That was the case at the Christmas show in Manchester especially, and it almost ruined the whole experience. I'd just want to fully immerse myself in the music this time and hopefully ignore the audience around me the best I can. Sure, at the end it would probably be fun to participate, but not throughout the show. Fans loudly singing along to the ballads is the worst, seriously. So many quiet solo songs butchered that way. 

I hope Hanson takes a moment to address us fans with what they hope for. They did talk about a rock'n roll show though, so who knows. But everyone please, let us all hear Hanson sing. 

EyesWideOpen

I'd love to experience just one show where fans don't sing along. You so often end up hearing the nearby people louder than the band. That was the case at the Christmas show in Manchester especially, and it almost ruined the whole experience. I'd just want to fully immerse myself in the music this time and hopefully ignore the audience around me the best I can. Sure, at the end it would probably be fun to participate, but not throughout the show. Fans loudly singing along to the ballads is the worst, seriously. So many quiet solo songs butchered that way. 

I hope Hanson takes a moment to address us fans with what they hope for. They did talk about a rock'n roll show though, so who knows. But everyone please, let us all hear Hanson sing. 

scorpio_2049

Nick Nichols
Brunswick, Ga, US

I thought that the first and only concert of theirs I went to. I worried people would sing along. Not normal voice singing. I’m talking about the high pitch whiney sing as loud as you can singing. It ended up not being bad. I sang along but as a guy my voice isn’t as high and doesn’t carry very far. And the band was loud enough to drown out the audience.

radioplayed

videos of the BTTI solo shows drive me crazy because you just hear the audience singing. it's fine when they encourage / ask fans to sing like a certain part but when it's the whole song, especially a quiet ballad, I just want the audience to hush!

from the few clips I've seen of the first string theory show it seems like the audience was relatively quiet, but it still was hard to hear the strings. I think that's likely because of cell phone video and it's probably (hopefully) easier to hear in person.

lilzacbop

Katie Wanta
Orange, CT, US

I think videos from in the crowd show a more skewed perspective. I've never really had an issue where I couldn't hear the guys over the crowd at a show I was at (though I have heard of crappy sound systems at other shows making that an actual possibility)

kellylizbeth

Kelly Davis
Astoria, New York, US

I had someone singing out LOUD right behind me at one of the solo sets at BTTI last year (maybe Isaac’s?). I eventually just turned around and offered to trade spots, even though I was closer and she was taller. She acted kind of taken aback like “oh, I can’t believe I’m bothering you, I’m just singing along!” (Yeah, into my ear — and I didn’t fly to Jamaica to hear *you.*)

Some fans just don’t get it. In my experience you just have to make the best of the situation. Hopefully at seated String Theory shows where there isn’t an option to move away from someone distracting, people will be respectful!!

DChansonfan

Lindsay Augustine
Washington, DC, US

I wonder if the type of venue will make a difference. Wolf Trap in Vienna is outdoors and super chill - I saw two concerts there last week and everyone was dancing and singing to both (and that made the shows more fun!). I could see maybe the orchestra seating not singing but can't imagine the folks on the lawn if they wanted to! 

angelscythe

I'm typically one of "those people" who sing very loudly at Hanson shows. I do feel badly for the people around me. I intend on not singing at String Theory though. I want to experience the music and I want everyone around me to as well. I hope my fellow sing a long-ers feel the same way. Unless we are encouraged to sing that is :) 

hfreezerburn712

Holly Frees
Nashville, TN, US

In Columbus, I was quietly singing along to myself at some points, and not at all at others. I'd say the same was true for most of the people around me - nothing like a normal show. There were a couple times when Hanson encouraged us to sing parts, but again, not like a normal Hanson show. I think it helped that a good portion of the audience weren't Hanson fans, but regular symphony/picnic at the pops goers. (Or at least, that was my assumption based on people not fitting into the normal Hanson fan/audience demographic. I think these shows will be a great opportunity for their music to be heard outside of their normal fanbase.)

hfreezerburn712

Holly Frees
Nashville, TN, US

In Columbus, I was quietly singing along to myself at some points, and not at all at others. I'd say the same was true for most of the people around me - nothing like a normal show. There were a couple times when Hanson encouraged us to sing parts, but again, not like a normal Hanson show. I think it helped that a good portion of the audience weren't Hanson fans, but regular symphony/picnic at the pops goers. (Or at least, that was my assumption based on people not fitting into the normal Hanson fan/audience demographic. I think these shows will be a great opportunity for their music to be heard outside of their normal fanbase.)

pauro77

Talking about etiquette... I see all the fans getting fancy in beautiful dresses and all at these shows and then you get Hanson with a simple cotton T-shirt as if it were just one more show (except for Isaac who we know will ALWAYS have his shirt on ;)  ). Shouldn't they leave that kind of look for the regular shows? I'm not asking them to wear a tie if they are uncomfortable but come on, at least a shirt! You have the orchestra behind you, all the people so well dressed and you like :-/

robinbond

I said on social media and maybe on here a while ago that I don't know why people would go to extra lengths to dress up, unless it were considered an occasion, so to speak. I didn't presume Hanson would change their status quo just because of the orchestra. Plus, any specific dress code would have been specified on HNET, which it wasn't.

The only times I think Hanson really made a specific effort at dressing up so to speak was in November 2003 for the reinvention of their image, and for Anthem: Live In New York

pauro77

They did it for the Christmas Tour and most of us were expecting something like that considering this was another kind of shows.

On Hnet wasn't specified because I think it depends on the venues mostly, not on them, but beyond that, I think it just doesn't fit. They could have done it if they wanted. Isaac anyway is already dressed for the occasion. 

ozzie1

The outdoor venues are so hot! I hope they are wearing what is comfortable. The last thing i would want if for them to pass out on stage. The shows I saw i thought they looked fine, it honestly didn't even cross my mind. 

pauro77

hahaha @ozzie1 I don't think they will pass out for wearing a simple shirt! There are fresh shirts for hot weather you know? It doesn't have to be winter clothes. Isaac wears them all the time and he never passed out. Actually, I noticed Zac did wear a shirt on last night's show, we have Taylor left ;) 

RobertBailey

We went to wolf trap last night, to say the least we went to enjoy an orchestral performance, but everyone thought it was a concert. Everyone around us were so loud. People were using flash for taking pics and facebook live. It was really annoying to try to enjoy a show which everyone just cared about the popular songs not the story.

ozzie1

Ha @pauro77 i see your point :P

Padackles

I'm going to the Chicago show in November. My hope is that it's more chill and people will just sit and enjoy the show. But I'm almost certain that won't happen. I do kind of like the idea of dressing up a little for the shows since it's a totally different experience. What the guys wear during the show means nothing to me.

As for the singing part I think it's kind of weird to expect people not to sing along. Even with the more low key atmosphere singing is just inevitable. Asking me not to sing along to a Hanson song is like asking me not to breathe. It just happens. 

<< < 1 2 > >>