Public Forums | Tour | String Theory Setup?

robinbond

The image of the planned stage setup for this new concept tour is certainly... intriguing? Teasing? Clarifying?

But I have also seen discussions on social media about the concerts being held in stadiums, as opposed to regular indoor stage venues? I see people talking about food, drink and blankets etc being allowed in venues. Can someone with more information please shed some light?

Personally I would imagine a stadium show being a Woodstock style security nightmare. I mean, Hanson must know what the risks are and be taking measures to avoid them. But why would anyone want to take alcoholic drink into a venue and risk getting thrown out? I've said it before. If I ever get to a show, I would be so scared of being thrown out that I might not even dare to sing. 

But if it is a stadium show... I have to ask... and hopefully someone can clear up the confusion...

The only time I was ever part of a stadium production, the music was recorded and the artists "performing" were basically miming to a recording. I understand that sound production etc is easier to do that way, but I can't imagine Hanson doing something like that. 

But getting sound to fill a stadium...? 

Can anyone help me to understand? I presume there are a lot more fans with more information about the tour setup?

lilzacbop

Katie Wanta
Orange, CT, US

Some of the venues (ie Wolf Trap in Vienna, VA) have a lawn area behind the seats. I would consider it more of an amphitheater than a stadium though.  Larger than the typical venues Hanson plays but not stadium size large!  I also think some of the venues are "BYOB" so food and drink (and in some cases, alcoholic drinks) are allowed to be brought in.

I'm not sure why you would be afraid of being thrown out. It's not a common occurrence? Unless you are incredibly drunk or causing a commotion, just enjoying yourself at a show would not lead to you being thrown out...

eek_a_mouse

I don't know whether events are drastically different in South Africa, but outdoor venues in the U.S.A. usually have guidelines for what can and cannot be brought in.  Some are strict about bringing in food and beverages (including alcohol) mostly because those items are sold by vendors on the premises.  They're in the business of making money, after all.  Other venues do allow food and beverages to be brought in.  (They may or may not restrict alcohol.)  In most cases, for larger ticketed outdoor concerts, attendees go through a security check to make sure they're not bringing in weapons or any other restricted items. 

I don't mean to laugh, Robyn, but equating a ticketed (controlled amount of people) symphony concert to Woodstock is kind of hilarious to me.  Most people who have lawn seats will probably bring a nice bottle of wine or a few beers and sit on a blanket or lawn chairs.  Hardly the chaotic nightmare you're picturing...  Also, as Katie said, these concerts are not being held in giant outdoor stadiums...

robinbond

Okay thanks. I didn't know. I saw a picture of one of the venues and it looked like a 60000 seater sports stadium. That's the only reason I compared it to Woodstock -- and we all know how Hanson have been selling out shows over the last while.

In my defense, my experience of concerts has been Michael W Smith in 1997, an outdoor metal festival in 2006 and Roxette in 2016. At the Roxette show someone got thrown out for something. I don't know. It was about six rows in front of us. But no -- there is control over bringing things in because then vendors or the venue can't make profit from sales.

Thanks. I hope to be able to follow setlists again, possibly getting them live as they happen, as I was doing for the last two tours... but like some have said, the setlist might be the same for every show... which is why I even mentioned the stadium sound thing, because if it's the same songs in the same order as on the CD... anyway... keeping an open mind. Enjoy. 

robinbond

Sorry - Steven Curtis Chapman in 1994 as well

robinbond

Sorry - Steven Curtis Chapman in 1994 as well

lilzacbop

Katie Wanta
Orange, CT, US

I would expect the same or very similar setlists for each show and probably the same as the track list for the double album as well.  If these shows are supposed to tell a story - it probably wouldn't come across the same if they shuffled the order around a bit.  What will keep things "fresh" on this tour is each of the different orchestra's bringing their own sound to backing each show.

I believe the Virginia venue is the largest for String Theory so far (but admittedly have not been paying *that* much attention to capacity) and they have 7,000 seats and I'm not sure how many more fit on the lawn, but certainly nowhere near 60,000 total.

lilzacbop

Katie Wanta
Orange, CT, US

As far as the other shows Hanson sold out on the Middle of Everywhere tour, capacity was probably in the 2-3,000 range. So to go from selling out 3k to 60k is quite a stretch.

joanna

It's definitely possible for artists to perform live music in a stadium. I've seen several stadium shows and the artists I've seen in that kind of setting have always actually performed the music at the show. Obviously there are some performers who do lip sync, rather than perform music live, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the type of venue they're playing (i.e. I don't think it's necessarily more likely to happen in a stadium).

I know it's already been clarified that Hanson are NOT playing stadiums on this tour, but just as an FYI, I guess. :)

hanelstacey

The columbus, Oh show is at a Picnic with the Pops Concert series.  They have different concerts with the symphony every other week at a downtown park.  Brining your own food/ alcohol is allowed in this particular venue.  Most people picnic :) 

DChansonfan

Lindsay Augustine
Washington, DC, US

I only know the WolfTrap in Vienna, VA (was just there last week and saw Indigo Girls and Juanes) but there are covered orchestra seats and then a lawn with big screens in case you can't see the stage. You can bring food, alcohol, blankets, whatever you'd like, but only for the lawn section. I think you can have alcohol in the seated area but only if you have it in the WolfTrap venue cup, and I don' t think you can have food if I remember correctly. I agree with Lilzacbop that it's more like an amphitheater. I will be on vacation the day of the concert and am so jealous I will miss it - it's such a cool place to see concerts and I could just imagine how awesome it will be to see Hanson there!

<< < 1 > >>