Public Forums | General | DJing at your funeral?!

freemonsd81

what songs would you play for friend, family member, co-worker's funeral? (Hanson or Non-Hanson songs) please.

robinbond

It depends on the person I think. Personally I would pick songs that were meaningful to the person or were characteristic of their life. By way of example, I compiled my 17 (I think it was) life anthems as the soundtrack for my 41st (since I tried to do something for my 40th and it turned into a flop).

My funeral song (or at least the main one) will be "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. No other song better defines my life. That's how I pick mine. 

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but it's a very subjective thing I think.

jlove1984

Jaquaida Kinney
Tampa, Florida, US

I believe I can fly by R Kelly

With you in your dream - Hanson

What kind of music do those people like?

freemonsd81

all very good songs! (here's a few examples)

My funeral song - Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Mind

My friend or best friend - You're My Best Friend by Queen

For a Family Member (Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister etc)- Goodbye (The Saddest World) by Celine Dion

For a Co-Worker or Significant Other - I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For Cutie

pighatchet

Amber Swinehamer
Bluffton, SC, US

For both my grandma's and grandpa's funeral, we used a lot of Elvis.  Peace in the Valley and Take My Hand Precious Lord were two I recall very clearly.  I don't intend to have a funeral, but I would guess I can't exactly protest if my family decides to have one anyway---and they would likely play something Hanson related.

sassy_laur

Lauren Sass
Reisterstown, Maryland, US

I can’t say this is anything I ever thought about- in fact, I only know of one funeral I’ve been to where there was music playing... and go figure, I put the music together for it:

When one of my best friends took his own life, we all found solace in the music he’d left us with. Which included 3 songs I recorded and produced for him a few years earlier. It had 2 covers and 1 original and I realized they all, sadly, fit well with laying him to rest. The songs were: 1) Cover of Delicate by Damien Rice 2) Cover of I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For Cutie and 3) his original called Here With Me (sample lyrics: “and the stars will shine like a million diamonds that have taken flight, and I will sail on through the night til everything’s alright”) .... I find it interesting that you listed I Will Follow You Into The Dark as a song you would play for some of your people. It may mean nothing, but I’m taking it as a sign because I want to. 

Shout It Out had come out right before he passed and songs like Use Me Up and These Walls helped comfort me (regardless of their actual meaning)- I probably would’ve added them to the playlist had he been a fan.

I’m not sure what else I’d play for who, because I don’t like thinking of any of that.. but I do thank you for this question because I’m currently listening to my friend’s songs- I realized it’s been awhile since I’ve done so.

Bghnelson

Rebecca Nelson
Houston, Texas, US

My mother wants me to sing Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah at her funeral. She is notorious for misquoting things / getting lyrics wrong (best example: "What are you going on about, Willard?"), so my sister and I read the lyrics to her to show her it wasn't a pretty hymn. She thinks it's hysterical now and has made me promise to do it anyway. 

My Step mom has an actual hymn she wants me to sing that I can never remember, but it's written down somewhere.

My husband wants all his friends to sing Dust in the Wind, Will Ferrell style.

I've given everyone clear instructions that my service is to be a party, filled with up beat fun music like Dancing with Myself, I believe in a Thing Called Love, etc. (And if for some reason my children don't honor this, which is always a possibility, my baby sister has promised to show up in bright turquoise and start randomly belting Mmmbop during the service.)

Music is so personal, it's hard to pick any one song that could be a universal "funeral song".

<< < 1 > >>