Public Forums | General | Space Exploration History Gets Made Today

robinbond

Three years ago, New Horizons flew past Pluto and took images and scientific research, resolving the image from a blob in the Hubble Space Telescope, to a beautiful geologically active world of enormous frozen methane mountains and frozen glaciers sliding across the landscape...

Today, New Year's Day, 2019 -- in fact in 2 hours and 7 minutes, New Horizons makes it's closest approach to Ultima Thule, which is thought to possibly be a walnut shaped object or two objects orbiting each other. The spacecraft will cover the last 141000 kilometers to the object in two hours.

robinbond

OMG!! First image is in. It was taken before the spacecraft reached Ultima Thule. The object is officially measured as 35 kilometers by 15 kilometers, and in the first image, looks like what I would describe as a butternut shape. As high resolution images come in, details down to the size of an office block will be able to be seen. New Horizons flew past three times closer than it did to Pluto. I wish individual images could be uploaded here...

robinbond

I took a photo of my computer screen with my phone so I've got the image on my Twitter page and Facebook page if anyone is interested :)

DChansonfan

Lindsay Augustine
Washington, DC, US

Thanks for posting! I meant to follow this more closely and totally forgot about it =( So exciting though!

robinbond

http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv

Live stream news updates from the team are posted from time to time here

robinbond

The first colour image of the KBO is, forĀ  now, my profile picture... still to be officially named, but the larger lobe is now called Ultima and the smaller lobe is called Thule

robinbond

And all in one week -- touchdown on an asteroid, and landing on the far side of the moon (which according to pictures is not dark)

<< < 1 > >>