Public Forums | General | A Tale Of Seven Christmases

robinbond

TRIGGER WARNING: If you're going to be insensitive in comments, I might snap back... this is a lament and a sensitive topic.

I never really saw family over Christmas, especially since my dad died in 2011. In 2012 (or possibly even 2013; I can't remember) I wailed at my mom over the phone that I hadn't seen my brother since his first wedding day in 2007. At least he came to visit me that year I guess.

In 2014, I had my operation, which was the only reason that I was out at my mom's farm (I was recuperating there, and the reason why my brother and his family weren't down that year. That was the last time I would have Christmas trifle.

In 2015, I had just got my cat a week before and didn't want to leave him, although I was asked if I wanted to go out. I suppose I only have myself to blame for that. That was the year my Christmas lunch was a piece of toast.

In 2016, I was told there was no room for me to sleep since there was only one extra bedroom and my brother had two children by that time. So I wasn't welcome, despite my claims that I could sleep on a couch. I guess that year I actually had syrup to put on the piece of toast, so it wasn't that bad.

Last year, I wasn't going to take any chances. I made plans early, anticipating what was going to happen. My mom phoned me and I told her that I was worried that I would be alone again so I had made other plans. Little did I know, and nor did she say at the time, but she actually wanted me to be there last year, but since I had said I had made plans with people from the church she had left it.

She told me in March or May when I visited that she wanted me out there this year. I can't help but think that the only reason that was going to be the case was that my brother was initially going to move with his family to Switzerland in August...

Well, my mom died at the beginning of August... at least I have seen my brother more in the past four months than I had since 2002, but... all I want right now is Christmas trifle

pheeny

Dophine Frazier
Swanzey, NH, US

Wow I am so sorry to hear about all the hardships you have had to endure! Please try to make life better for you. Meditate, pray and burn sage. You need to heal. Those things happened out of your control. Those things are devastating for sure. I hope you will have Christmas with your brother and bring some trifle. At least you have seen him more recently. Take the baby steps where you can get them. Spend time with loved ones, a friend, at a soup kitchen helping to serve a meal to the homeless. Be bold and ask someone to go out and have coffee. Try to make a more fun life for yourself. Merry Christmas to you! 

robinbond

Well I reached out in our church Whatsapp group today, asking if there's someone I can spend the day with; I gave up waiting to hear from my brother, although it might have been nice owing to the fact that his family is relocating to Switzerland in 2019... and that my niece and nephew both have birthdays between now and Christmas Day. Anyway...

<< < 1 > >>