Public Forums | General | Social Media Friend / Unfriend -- The Duck's Back Was A Little Resilient This Time

robinbond

So we have friends on social media, right? Sure. And sometimes people just aren't interested in what someone is posting and has no desire to see stuff anymore, right? Sure. All that I understand. And I have said to people that if people aren't interested then they're missing out... that the problem isn't with the person who is posting.

Well, today it kind of hit me, and I didn't know what to do with it. I mean I could normally care less, but when it's someone one has known for 31 years? And being unfriended because of posting a sports result? And not just any World Cup score, but the fact that a South African made the final of Wimbledon for the first time since 1985 (although other reports say since 1921).  Now, sure. This person said weeks ago that anyone posting sports results would be unfriended... okay. But the reason? 

I queried it and got told that because of the time difference it takes Americans eight hours to catch up on the news! Sorry? What? Hanson performed eight shows in Australia and I got each song on the setlist as it was being played. Anyway...

Yeah. I suppose there's a vital piece of information to understanding the background behind this friend I met in Standard 4 (what is now known as Grade 6). He happened to have a large part to play in where my spirituality is today, so he's not just any regular person that one might have never met. 

inaki

Hi Robin, 

I think social media doesn't really matter in life. Yes, sometimes it hurts us when a friend unfriends us on Facebook or other social media outlets but, if you still meet with that friend and you spend time together then don't think about it too much. It is real life we should care about, that's what matters.

If, on the other hand, your friend lives far from you and Facebook is a way of communicating more often and more easily then I guess he could have just hidden your posts instead of unfriending you. Maybe he didn't think of that, who knows. Still, though, don't let it get to you. If something ends, it is meant to end, no matter what it is. 

Hope this helps. :)

robinbond

Sure. Thanks. :) -- he is now a headlining comedy act in the US, so yes -- he is miles away. His brother posted on the thread too though and said to chill and have a drink (it'll have to be coffee) when he is in South Africa visiting

inaki

Sounds like a good plan! I'm sure he will realize it was an unnecessary move and friend you back. And if not, still ok. All you can do is continue to be supportive and move on with your life. New friends maybe?!

There's always room for new people, new hobbies, new interests. And if it's football that interests you, why not find a football buddy?

Hope you're feeling better about this and all is good now! :)

<< < 1 > >>