Public Forums | HANSON | Next Hanson Studio Album...?

jlo32005

Anyone have any idea or want to throw out a guess as to when the next official Hanson studio album (consisting entirely of NEW material) will drop? As much as I've loved these "Hanson bucket-list projects", I'm absolutely ready and HAVE BEEN READY for the follow-up studio album to Anthem.

Think about it: since the release of Anthem way back in 2013, we've gotten the Roots & Rock N Roll EP & accompanying tour, the unusual release of duo Hanson EPs  (those being "Loud" and "Play", of course), the "I Was Born" single (not to mention the "I Was Born" challenge), followed closely by the compilation album, "Middle of Everywhere: The Greatest Hits" and its accompanying world tour, which itself overlapped with the release of Hanson's second Christmas album ("Finally It's Christmas"), and then most recently, the double-album of old/new songs recorded (and performed) with a full orchestra "String Theory" and its accompanying world tour.....this is all in addition to the yearly members EPs of course. 

So that was all to say that all these things have been really fun and enjoyable, and we're lucky as fans to have a band that gives us so much music.......BUT I'm personally ready for the next actual studio album of all new music!!! I've been ready for at least a couple of years I now. I thought for sure we'd have the Anthem follow-up by 2017, but here we are in 2019, and there's no new-material studio album in sight!

Thoughts?

lilzacbop

Katie Wanta
Orange, CT, US

I think the good majority of us on here agree with you.  Yes, they have released a lot of new music - but most of it is members only EPs which are a little more experimental and a little less polished than a full studio album.  I do wonder if they may be hesitant to do another full album since Anthem almost broke them up, or if these bucket list projects have just been eating at them for so long they decided it is finally time.  I do hope they go back into the studio soon, but don't want to force their creativity because the end result won't be up to the level that they are capable of doing.

eek_a_mouse

I have faith that a new album is in the plan.  That photo of the empty building in a recent Instagram post makes me wonder if it's possible there are some other irons in the fire which could possibly cause a bit of a delay...  (So many questions!)  Hopefully we'll get some answers during Hanson Day weekend,...if not before.

Those wheels never stop turning over at 3CG...

blueskyjudy

Judy Ferrante
Conklin, NY, US

For as much as I would love to see a full album of new material - I think Katie has a point about the "bucket list" projects.  Also take into consideration that these projects took a lot of creative energy and time (even reworking older material for String Theory).  Personally, I enjoy String Theory - nothing like stretching your wings - story telling and dabbling in the classical genre.  This project overall makes them that more experienced in their musical craft - which we all know, the guys take this very seriously.  

That being said - I think Isaac, Taylor and Zac are just taking their time putting together a new album.  Working with a symphonic sound has probably inspired all kinds of different musical ideas/sounds to explore.  (lol, or maybe go in a totally different direction &  surprise us!)

I know - it is hard to be patient, but I think it will be worth the wait.    (Besides, I think their focus at the moment is family, Hanson Day and Hops Jam, but I am pretty certain, a new record is on the list too)

mamajive

There are so many people wondering about this very question.  I also think that Hanson is busy checking off their ideas from their bucket list. I think they will record a new album, but not this year. When their ready, then we'll get new music. But many will not enjoy or be patient having to wait for it.

pinkbo0tlace

Ashley Allred
Bluffdale, Utah, US

I haven't been on these forms for what feels like ages! Anyways, I'd love to give my opinion; if I may? I've seen the community as a whole, wonder this and echoing this same statement. Here are just my gentle thoughts on this subject: I fully understand the want and desire for a new album. It keeps things fresh, and, it's nice to know what direction the band is heading in. I also empathize that it's been quite a bit since Anthem, but I think we need to try and realize that it's okay if there's not one soon; hear me out. This band is comprised of three different individuals. All three humans have their own stuff going on. Art is a form of beautiful, self-expression that is best written when the artist has that thirst, that lust...  that gnawing inspiration to make it. If not all three members have that burning, agonizing passion to make an album right now... it's best if it's not made. This next album will come when it's supposed to. Let's believe in, and give these guys the trust they have proven to us they deserve. They'll know when it's the right time... for them. 

pinkbo0tlace

Ashley Allred
Bluffdale, Utah, US

I haven't been on these forms for what feels like ages! Anyways, I'd love to give my opinion; if I may? I've seen the community as a whole, wonder this and echoing this same statement. Here are just my gentle thoughts on this subject: I fully understand the want and desire for a new album. It keeps things fresh, and, it's nice to know what direction the band is heading in. I also empathize that it's been quite a bit since Anthem, but I think we need to try and realize that it's okay if there's not one soon; hear me out. This band is comprised of three different individuals. All three humans have their own stuff going on. Art is a form of beautiful, self-expression that is best written when the artist has that thirst, that lust...  that gnawing inspiration to make it. If not all three members have that burning, agonizing passion to make an album right now... it's best if it's not made. This next album will come when it's supposed to. Let's believe in, and give these guys the trust they have proven to us they deserve. They'll know when it's the right time... for them. 

Chickenels

It'll happen when they want it to happen, it's as simple as that. If you guys want that "Hanson magic" album then you can't force it out of them. I get people weren't thrilled that String Theory was mostly old tunes but it appears most fans have 0 idea what goes into recording a record like that. It's a massive process. Not to mention, after the fans BEGGED them for YEARS for a Christmas album, they did that but even then people weren't happy. Hanson will give us a new record when it's right and I'm okay with that, I'd rather not have a half ***ed record just to appease this fan base who constantly complains. They said we'll be getting new music soon so lets see what happens, either way, as long as they keep on touring, I'll be happy. *FYI* I'm not saying anyone on this post has complained per say but I've seen some pretty nasty replies and posts about it, which this post is more directed at. Just my two cents.

jlo32005

Oh look everybody, I totally agree with all of you. I don't want it to be rushed in anyway, and I'm not trying to criticize these INCREDIBLE projects they've taken on since Anthem. I thought "Finally It's Christmas" was a phenomenal, rocking Christmas album, I loved the Roots & Rock N Roll EP, and I thought String Theory was really cool. I'm just ready for the next studio album now is all haha I know I'm being impatient but I can't help it. Just venting I guess! 

taysbear

Carrie Nairn
Hagerstown , Maryland , US

13 12

lilzacbop Katie Wanta
Orange, CT, US

I think the good majority of us on here agree with you.  Yes, they have released a lot of new music - but most of it is members only EPs which are a little more experimental and a little less polished than a full studio album.  I do wonder if they may be hesitant to do another full album since Anthem almost broke them up, or if these bucket list projects have just been eating at them for so long they decided it is finally time.  I do hope they go back into the studio soon, but don't want to force their creativity because the end result won't be up to the level that they are capable of doing.

Agree Katie , I 'd love longer studio albums  but I think some of their   best music are the members eps

heymaura

personally I think they are deciding their next new music move- CDs are steadily going out of fashion, and honestly, who downloads a whole new album from Itunes anymore.  They have always been on top of the music business and the trends, though and I think they will do something exceptionally cool in the next year .  If it's new music, I want something with deep lyrics and a more rock sound, like Great Divide for instance.   Just my two cents worth.

asphodelia

Paola Rizzato
Heysham, Lancashire, GB

"If it's new music, I want something with deep lyrics and a more rock sound, like Great Divide for instance."  - I'm with @heymaura on this. There have been some good songs in the EPs over the  years since Anthem, but still, what is missing, for me, is the depth and gravitas of the music from The Walk era. So I hope that through this album-hiatus and the various bucket list projects, Hanson have had a chance to regroup and re-energise and that it will show in their songwriting process. 

I don't quite agree with the 'albums are dead' thing - maybe the way of consuming an album has changed, but most artists still release them, possibly bundled with 'extras' to entice people to buy them directly from their websites than iTunes or to make it more appealing than streaming. I think there will always be a appetite and therefore a market for albums, it's just the way they're accessed that has changed.

hfreezerburn712

holly frees
Nashville, TN, US

I don't quite agree with the 'albums are dead' thing - maybe the way of consuming an album has changed, but most artists still release them, possibly bundled with 'extras' to entice people to buy them directly from their websites than iTunes or to make it more appealing than streaming. I think there will always be a appetite and therefore a market for albums, it's just the way they're accessed that has changed.

Cosign. Actually, cosign your first paragraph, too. 

mikikatie

Michael Jones
Austin, TX, US

I am still pretty enamored with String Theory, to be honest.  Now that the Tulsa ST show is approaching (which I assume will be my last ST show probably ever), I'm feeling really wistful about this whole project.  It reinvigorated something for me as a fan, in a way that other recent "new music" has not (probably for most of the reasons you guys have already listed above; I also didn't really connect with Anthem, which left me feeling kind of unmoored).  Obviously, as a musical and technical accomplishment String Theory is super impressive (which most brings out my Hanson love), but I also love the overall conception as a unified project and a story.  Maybe wishful thinking, but this gives me hope that they have not given up on the idea of an ALBUM.

kellylizbeth

Kelly Davis
Astoria, New York, US

What I'm most hungry for/what I feel has been missing recently is Hanson's drive to write new songs that express a perspective that is fresh, genuine, and meaningful. Yes, we get EPs, but as Katie mentioned those songs are experimental and tend to feel almost disposable, because Hanson don't release them for public consumption or play them live (with a few exceptions, like No Rest for the Weary). Yes, String Theory was a ton of work, but those songs and the story Hanson arranged them to tell felt like already-familiar territory. I want to hear about what I, T and Z are inspired by *now.* And I want to go to some shows where every person in the audience doesn't already know every word to every song.

The impression I get from what we've seen lately is that writing songs isn't Hanson's top priority anymore. It used to feel like these were three guys who had something to say, and used music to say it, and their music resonated really deeply with those of us who call ourselves fans. These days it feels more like here are three guys who created a community around their music, but who are now more interested in finding other ways to sustain that community and express their creativity (beer, paintings/photos, podcasts, games and activities, tropical retreats, etc.). 

I don't want Hanson to make a new album if their hearts aren't in it. But it makes me sad to think that we're coming up on six years since their hearts WERE in it, and that the hunger to write new songs together just might not be there anymore. 

Also, 100% agree with Paola and Holly--albums are NOT "dead." In fact, look at the most successful/beloved artists in the music industry (Beyonce, TSwift, Bruno Mars, Drake, Ed Sheeran, Kacey Musgraves, Janelle Monae, Cardi B...). Maybe they're experimenting with new formats and release strategies, but they're still making albums.

Chickenels

Those artists are also the only ones really selling MILLIONS of records....not many artists are selling records like Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and Drake. It's apples and oranges. Hanson can't do that, that's FACT. Not saying they won't release another full length record but I don't really see it being worth it to an artist like them anymore. Some still do it but Hanson has been wise to the idea of releasing EPs for quite a while, it truly is the smarter way to go as an indie artist these days. They're better off with EPs (not the fanclub EPs but like...REAL EPs, I'm personally not a fan of 98% of the fanclub music.) I know this is a very unpopular opinion in this fan base but as a musician myself, I don't see any reason to release full length CDs anymore unless you are in the top 20 artists. It's just a waste of material.

blueskyjudy

Judy Ferrante
Conklin, NY, US

Wow!  Lots of interesting opinions here.  

No, I don't believe record albums are dead.  Some musicians, oh I don't know, maybe they just don't want to put the work into making a full length, cohesive album or it could be finances.   Could be lots of reasons, but that is their call.

That's not the case with Isaac, Taylor & Zac.   I believe Hanson has a lot of music to share - so much so - they give us their fans eps in addition to albums, bucket list projects and all those wonderful live shows.  I really love the eps, most of the music is fully fleshed out, performed passionately and shows off their musical talents.  Are some of the songs "experimental"?  Sure - and the guys are brave enough to share them with us.   

I do NOT think a full length album is a waste of material.   I can't even imagine Isaac, Taylor & Zac recording music just to "fill space" on an album.   Hmmm, no, I don't see that at all, not Hanson.  In fact, I think they are very particular about the songs they choose to record on eps and albums.   

The creative process takes time and we just have to be patient. ( as I sit here, sipping some wine, chilling on the couch)

Chickenels

That's not what I meant when I said a full album is a waste of material. I fully believe the guys have a ton of great material to share and they'll share it when they want to. However, full length releases as an indie artist, especially like THEM, can be considered a "waste" because it's not like they really get played on the radio, so releasing a 5 or 6 song EP every so often isn't a bad idea. Most people just download singles these days anyway. I didn't mean Hanson fill a record just to fill space, they most certainly are very picky about what goes on any record with maaaaybe the exception of CERTAIN fan club EPs. I think many have missed my point, which is fine, the music industry is changing, especially for the indie artist, myself being one, it's pretty **** terrible. Hanson is obviously on a different level than I am but they're also their own label with 0 backing. The only reason they haven't done away with full length records is because most fans would probably have heart attacks if they did. Like I said, I think we'll get new material soon (not including the members EP) not sure what format it will be on, if it will be full length or and EP but they always have something up their sleeves. Either way half of the fan base will probably be disappointed!

kellylizbeth

Kelly Davis
Astoria, New York, US

I listen to plenty of artists/bands that are independent or signed to small labels, with significantly smaller followings than Hanson's, who still make full-length records (Stephen Kellogg; Jamestown Revival; Lori McKenna; Brian Dunne; Lindi Ortega; Joseph; The Secret Sisters, Christian Lopez, Drew Holcomb & the Neighbors, etc. etc.) They might not earn a comfortable living selling 12-song CDs like some bands used to, but they're still producing albums as an art form that they feel is meaningful and worthwhile--and their fans support that in a variety of ways: going to shows, pre-ordering albums, buying other merch, etc.

If Hanson don't *want* to make full-length albums anymore, that's their decision to make. But the idea that they *can't* do it because there's no demand for it or because their business model can't support it feels disingenuous to me, and is not an explanation I can believe based on what I see other bands (and Hanson themselves) doing. Others may have different perspectives. Hanson choose not to be very forthcoming about their attitude/plans to make new music that's not for Members Only, so we're all left to wonder/speculate what their true motivations are.

Chickenels

Most artists I listen to are independent artists. Yes, some still make full length records but many don't. However, Hanson has expressed wanting to go down the EP route for how many years now? Nobody really makes money off of music anymore, so yeah, Hanson does all the things you mentioned so they can sustain the career they have and continue to do the things they choose to do comfortably. I'm glad Hanson are doing things THEY want to do, like String Theory, which was a major project and a huge undertaking, if you know ANYTHING about music. Lord knows they've appeased the fans way too much in my opinion and have created a spoiled fan base which is why there is so much complaining no matter what they do. When it comes down to it, I think we'll probably see another full length release from them but I think eventually they'll do exactly what they want to do when it comes to the formats they want to release their music on. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens because like you said, we don't 100% know.

kellylizbeth

Kelly Davis
Astoria, New York, US

Lord knows they've appeased the fans way too much in my opinion and have created a spoiled fan base which is why there is so much complaining no matter what they do. 

I'm happy for ITZ that they're in a position to realize "bucket list" achievements like String Theory. But as a fan of their band, it's been 6 years since we got a set of new songs that wasn't an experimental Members' EP cranked out for them to hand out and perform on HDay and then never play or talk about again. So yes, I'm feeling a little restless, but I'm not sure that expressing a desire for my favorite *band* to show some enthusiasm for writing new *music* means I'm "complaining." Good for you that you don't care if/when a new record comes out. Other people feel differently, and is it really necessary or productive to demean them or accuse them of being "spoiled?" 

Chickenels

My first post was directed more at the fans who CONSTANTLY complain about wanting new material, not directly at anyone in this post. I'm not demeaning anyone, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion, which we have all expressed here. However, yes, this fan base is 100% spoiled, thanks to the guys, that's not exactly a BAD thing but because of it, sometimes people expect so much. That comment wasn't referring to just a new record, you know fans complain no matter what they do, it's a lose/lose no matter what, generally. Hell, it could be worse, you could get charged $17,000 to meet your favorite band like The Rolling Stones do for a 10-90 second meet and greet. But to get back on topic, no, to show some enthusiasm for new record isn't a bad thing but how often must we go down the same road? I'm pretty sure the guys know everyone wants new music. By the way, I do care, I just know they'll do it when they're ready and you can't something like that or else you'll end up with something you won't want. That's all. Have a good day!

blueskyjudy

Judy Ferrante
Conklin, NY, US

Chickenels - thanks for taking the time to clarify your comments (good luck on your own musical endeavors).   For the record (LOL, no pun intended)  I listen to all the songs on my records.  Yes, some days I may favor some songs over others, but I do enjoy listening to an album in its entirety.   I know, not everyone does this.   Yes, the music industry is in a constant state of flux these days, it's challenging to produce/perform music and make a living at it.   Hanson will make their decisions based on what's best for them.  They too have goals for themselves and the band.  We as fans need to be mindful of that.

I don't know if some fans are "spoiled" - I think some are just stating what they want.   I have only been on Hanson.net about 8 months, so I don't know how to "interpret" all the comments.  Hey, you ask a question, you get an answer. 

And last (but not least) -  Isaac, Taylor and Zac do have wives/children.  Realistically, these guys do take time from music (and concerts and fans and Hop Jam & etc)  to spend with their families, be husbands & dads, maybe take a day or two to do absolutely nothing.   I would hope that we their fans, can give them that time (and yes, wait a little longer for that album).   

Chickenels

Judy- Not a problem and thank you. The music industry is constantly changing and NOT for the better, unfortunately. Also, thank you for acknowledging that the guys have lives outside of "Hanson." I think it's extremely important, especially when they've been in it for this long, for them to take some time to just relax and they don't really do enough of that, in my opinion. They work HARD and constantly. They deserve family time or time to go hang out with friends, catch up on TV shows they may have missed, all of that.  So much of what a lot of us take advantage of day to day. But like Zac has said, which is one of my favorite quotes "sometimes to do the extraordinary, you have to give up the ordinary."

lilzacbop

Katie Wanta
Orange, CT, US

I have some bands I follow that have gone the EP route - which can mean less time "off" (not touring) in the studio.  Alternately they can record an album's worth at the same time but split it over 3 EPs so the tracks don't need to be as cohesive and can release them every 6 months, every year, etc to keep the touring machine rolling.  Now I don't know if that is what Hanson is thinking about doing or if that business model would even work for them.  That being said, there are certainly a lot of bands I listen to recording and releasing full length albums as well so no matter what Hanson decides to do with this potential new music, it won't be completely out of the norm either way.

<< < 1 2 > >>