Public Forums | General | US Politics - Please Explain Something

Dispatcher_Dobbi

Ashley Dobbin
Mishawaka, IN, US

Just curious, where does everyone go for resources for political stuff (like if I am trying to research & such)  I am trying to expand my knowledge more than just what is on the surface and beyond news networks as each are biased to one side. 

Also, kudos to everyone having a civilized post conversation! It's very difficult, and I don't talk politics for that reason. I know it's hard to hold back on certain topics, but its nice even if you disagree that you're not calling the person posting names :)

tongirl02

Amber Timothy
Champaign, IL, US

I am pretty liberal and I honestly would hate for Trump to be impeached because I fear Pence because of his views on LGBTQ and women's rights and all that jazz.

mikikatie

Michael Jones
Austin, TX, US

I'm hoping that with the 2020 census, some of the atrocious gerrymandering that was done in 2010 will be corrected.  At least then, maybe things will be more fair.  Don't get me started on the electoral college.

ryonka

@Dispatcher_Dobbi I am an avid reader, so I try to read and listen to any responsible source.  I like Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, NPR, and Mitch Albom.  I subscribe to Reuters, Associated Press, United Press International as well.  Sometimes, especially lately, it gets crazy, but I take everything with a grain of salt.

scorpio_2049

Nick Nichols
Brunswick, Ga, US

I used to not like the electoral college, in any election, not just the elections my candidate lost. But I understand now more why it's important that the parts of the country lose their input on how the country is run.

Though the idea of an election without the electoral college does make me wonder what it would do to voter turnout if all of a sudden conservatives in California and liberals in Kentucky could vote for the president and not feel like their vote ultimately doesn't matter.

TheGlam_Squad

Susannah Robertson
Dallas, TX, US

How about we not go here and say we did huh ? 

hitzfanaticIsBack

What is happening in Brazil right now, as well as other countries like Venezuela, and the rise of extreme right-wing "nationalist" movements, are the reason why everyone should care about politics. If it doesn't directly affect you, it doesn't mean you shouldn't care or at least try to stay informed. I work with people of all backgrounds and it is my goal to give them the critical skills to be able to think for themselves and not merely resort to "neutral" or "politically correct" rhetoric to justify any kind of ignorance. Just my opinion.

hitzfanaticIsBack

And I agree with @Dispatcher_Dobbi on having healthy and civilized debates. This is what the U.S. badly needs right now, but neither side is willing to truly listen to each other.

About good sources of political information - it's hard to find one that is comprehensive and unbiased. Wherever there are human beings involved, there is always bias and subjectivity. I personally read/listen to NPR, CNN, BBC (outside the U.S. can sometimes offer a different perspective), and even the dailymail (but more for entertainment and breaking news). Then I use my own judgment to assess the reliability of each source based on how much sense the arguments make. There is never one version of the "truth," that's for sure.

TheGlam_Squad

Susannah Robertson
Dallas, TX, US

When someone doesnt want to see Fanson world war 3 take place doesn’t mean they don’t care about whats happening in the world. But please don’t let me stop y’all. I am staying out of this , I have enough  people who want my head on a pike to know better than to enagage in ANY political discussion on the forums. I was just hoping y’all wouldn’t . Oh well I tried ! :)  

TatiArgentina

Tatiana Minvielle
Wilde, Buenos Aires, AR

I'm from Argentina and we're under a right wing government too. The right wing taking over the world with such hate speeches makes me really scared. I never thought I would get to see such an involution of humanity.

Padackles

No offense @theGlam_squad but if you don't want to participate in this thread why do you keep replying? Yes people are capable of having a civilized discussion about politics, as evident in this thread. I don't agree with some of the comments in here but I'm adult enough to just scroll on past it and answer the questions that are being asked. I don't need to comment on things I don't agree with because I know I won't change anyone's mind about what they feel/think. Seriously though it seems like the only person trying to rile up this thready is you? 

Padackles

*thread

musicalrider83

Hey guys, let's not start this. We're better than this!

Also, I would like to apologize if I said anything that rubbed the wrong way. I don't think I did, but you never know.
And for the brazilian fans that support Bolsonaro: I'm also sorry, but I don't support him and never will.  

Padackles

there is nothing to apologize for musicalrider83. 

This thread has been very chill for the most part. 

TheGlam_Squad

Susannah Robertson
Dallas, TX, US

@Padackles actually continued  reply would be more than two , now after I post this you can consider it “keep on replying” before that it was just a comment . Get things going ? HAHAHA oh boy how is hey y’all let’s not and say we did getting things ralleyed up ? Oh wait it’s not , don’t take the apocalypse you believe we are in out on me fraulien. I could give two ducks about arguing on a band forums. *sticks fingers in ears LALALALALALA  joyful noise* 

<< < 1 2 > >>